Saturday, June 30, 2012

Invader! Street Art In Bilbao, Spain 2012

Bilbao, Spain

I was walking in Casco Viejo, medieval neighbourhood of Bilbao, around 11:30 at night in search of pintxos and vino. Looking for the name of the street I was on, I looked up and I saw my first INVADER!

I was on Calle Santa Maria. I'm not sure of the cross-street, but it's a very small area. Walk it!

Invader, born 1969 in France, is an urban artist inspired by the 1978 coin-operated arcade game Space Invaders. One of the few video games that I'm really, really, ridiculously good at. (Yes, I just ended my sentence with a preposition). The game was designed by Tomohiro Nishikado and released in 1978 in Japan. Later re-released in the US by Midway division of Bally.

Using low-resolution graphics from the game, Invader was able to produce colorful characters with mosaic tiles. The Tiles representing the pixels from the graphics.

space invader-bilbao a photo by julius2043

Photo By Julius2043 - Invader on the River walk. Bilbao, Spain

Link to Flickr Invader Group

 

No comments: